Honey, Yoghurt & Spelt BreadClick here to view a step by step video on how to make this recipe
This healthy recipe has a slight sweet taste and is my favourite to have as toast for breakfast with just a little cream cheese smeared on top. It also works well as a healthy substitute for those afternoon tea muffins and cakes.
1 Packet Instant Yeast (approx. 7g)
2/3 Cup of Milk
½ Cup Honey
½ Cup Greek Yoghurt
250g Wholemeal Spelt Flour
250g White Spelt Flour
2 Tbs olive oil
1. Warm milk to luke warm in a small bowl. Add 1 tsp honey and yeast. Whisk until well combined and then let sit for 15 min until the mixture has bloomed.
2. In a medium sized bowl and the flour, rest of the honey, egg & yoghurt, then add the yeast mixture to this. Stir together until a dough is formed.
3. Knead the dough by hand or on low in an electric mixing bowl with either a kneading paddle or tongs attached for 5 min.
4. Leaving the dough in the bowl, pat the surface of the dough with oil and cover with a clean tea towl & put aside in a dark warm place for about 1½-2 hrs until it doubles in size.
5. Pour down out onto a floured surface and very gently knead the air out of the dough, then transfer it into a lined bread pan.
6. Place into a pre-heated oven on 180C (360F) for about 1 hour.
7. Allow your bread to cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.